Worth noting - the audio is almost twice as long as the video, and contains the unabridged interview and unabridged drumming audio clips
Arthur's a legit celebrity on Youtube, where, arguably, it matters most. I first discovered him while doing my daily drum-video-full-immersion experience, and found his drum cover so captivating, I made a reality show episode about it.
When I learned he was moving to town I jumped at the chance to interview him in person. When he finally showed up at "80/20 Headquarters" under the BQE in Gowanus, I knew I was in for a chop-fest. What surprised me was the intensity of his pocket - the videos hadn't done it justice - and the pacing and taste with which he played. (Not unlike my previous guests, Colin and Kassa.)
I was curious to know Arthur's mental approach, to when it was time to interview, I dug in. Here are just a few of the things we covered:
- Arthur's earliest influences while growing up in Malaysia, and the differences between watching videos and seeing live performances.
- Arthur's philosophy on chops versus musicality.
- The "secret" to getting better Arthur discovered early in his life that I only discovered a few years ago.
- The usual 80/20 Drummer question - what does he look for in young players that indicates they'll be good. Also...
- What up-and-coming players most need to work on.
Really hope you enjoy! It goes without saying that if you dig this episode, the best way to "thank" us is to share (with one of the handy buttons below). In fact, if you tweet this and tag me (@8020drummer), I'll mail you popsicle.*
Finally, I hope you'll subscribe on iTunes and write us a review! There's still time to beat my mom to it, but as of the publishing date that window's closing.