I wasn't sure I could do it. (I'm still not sure I did it *well*.) Learn to solo over Now vs Now's 7 Ways in a week. Fine.
Make a video breaking down what I did into steps even a beginner could follow? Not so easy.
That's why I made the reality show this summer. It's a lot easier to just record myself practicing and talking about how I feel than to try to explain what I did so somebody Else can repeat the steps. But that's the raison d'etere of the channel. Succeed or fail, I had to try.
Anyway, to make it easier I broke the central challenge into two challenges.
- Play a halfway decent solo over the tune.
- Make our solo better by borrowing some concepts from Mark.
So here goes. In this lesson I attempt to convey:
- How to "hear" the solo vamp and how to get it in your head.
- The "minimum effective beat" you can build on.
- The three things I would do (borrowing 2 from Mark's own clinics) to make the solo better.
Hope you enjoy! Transcriptions of the beat structure and the minimum effective beat will be up at my Instagram account "8020drummer" under the hashtag #lowmark